Toronto in the 1950s was a bustling, growing city. It was the largest city in Canada and the commercial, financial, and cultural center of the country. At the time, Toronto’s population was around 1.1 million people, and it was known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, as well as its bustling business and financial districts.
Toronto’s economy in the 1950s was largely centered around its strong manufacturing and trade industries. At the time, Toronto was home to many large factories and industrial facilities, and the city was a major hub for the production of goods like cars, clothing, and food products. The opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959 also had a major impact on Toronto’s economy, as it expanded the city’s port facilities and made it an even more important center for trade and commerce. This brought new jobs and economic opportunities to the city and helped to solidify its position as a major player in Canada’s economy. Toronto’s financial sector was also growing during this time, and the city became home to many banks and financial institutions. This helped to make Toronto a major financial center in Canada, and it remains so to this day. Toronto’s economy in the 1950s was strong and diverse, with growth in industries like manufacturing, trade, and finance. This set the stage for the city’s continued economic success in the decades that followed.
Toronto in the 1950s was also home to a thriving music scene. Jazz clubs and music venues were popular, and many famous musicians, including Oscar Peterson and Moe Koffman, got their start in the city. The Toronto Symphony Orchestra was also founded during this time, and it quickly became one of the city’s most popular cultural attractions.
It was established in 1847 and in 1850 a frame school was built for the children of the community to attend, later to be replaced by a brick building in 1870. In 1900 a two-room, two-storey school was built on Kennedy Road, just south of Danforth Road because the community was growing rapidly. When two more rooms were added in 1906 the Junction School became the largest public school in the Township at the time.