The city of Anaheim, now the tenth largest in California, was founded in 1857 by German farmers and vintners. George Hansen, one of Anaheim’s founding members, surveyed the original 200 acres that now make up its downtown area (bounded by North, South, East, and West streets). Anaheim draws its name from the nearby Santa Ana River and the German word for home, ‘heim’. During the 19th century, Anaheim was the center of California’s wine industry, but a blight destroyed the vineyards in the 1880s. Oranges replaced grapes as Anaheim’s agricultural backbone.
In 1889, Orange County was separated from Los Angeles County. Anaheim remained largely an agricultural community until 1955 when Disneyland opened. This prompted the construction of several hotels and motels around the area and the development of the residential regions in Anaheim. Aside from manufacturing electronics and aircraft parts, the city developed into an industrial center.
Here are some incredible historical photos that show Anaheim from 1850s to 1890s.
Three frame buildings are visiable. drying racks are stacked at the side of building that the water tower is built over. Trees are in the background. One man is sitting astride a horse, two men are standing on a plank at the storage tank, and a young child is at the right side of the print.
Side view of church located at the corner of Cypress and Claudina Streets. A white wooden fence, with chicken wire is visible on the side. Palm trees and other trees are on the church grounds. Architect Charles Giddes of San Francisco, California drew up the plans. The church was later sold to the Church of the Nazarine, who later sold the building to the Salvation Army.
It was built by Anaheim's second mayor, Henry Kroeger, and later sold to the hotel's proprietor, Max Nebelung; image, taken from a brochure, shows full view of hotel with figures standing on second-story balcony and along front and side of ground floor walkways; four-wheeled horse-drawn wagon and four-wheeled horse-drawn buggy in front of hotel; sign above ground floor doorway on left side of hotel reads "STEINHART & BRO." ; main entrance overdoor sign reads "H. BREMERMANN 1872"; by 1905 the hotel's name was changed to the Commercial Hotel and was sold to John Ziegler.
Group Portrait of the Smythe boys, sons of Maria Antonia Josefa Yorba and John Sydney Smythe; seated is Fred C. Smythe; standing (left to right) Henry, Frank, John L. and David P. Smythe; image shows oldest four boys wearing dark suites with white shirts and dark ties; youngest boy wearing lighter suite with knickers and belted jacket.
The buildings are labelled and include from left to right: 1. Palace Meat Market, 2. Pamperl, Hdwe. Store, 3. S. S. Federman - Clothing, 4. Cahen's Store. Two men are outside of the Palace meat market wearing aprons. Carriages are visible in the dirt road as well as people along the sidewalk.