In the early 1970s, a feminist-environmentalist coalition consolidated a liberal, anti-growth majority on the San Jose City Council. Janet Gray Hayes was elected mayor in 1974 as a final blow to the growth machine. Since then, San Jose has been governed by a liberal-managerial regime focused on growth management, neighborhood services, and fiscal responsibility.
Subsequently, a general plan was adopted to create an urban service area (also known as an urban growth boundary) within existing city limits, restrict development in the eastern foothills, and defer growth in Coyote Valley. San Jose annexed communities like Campbell and Cupertino in the west, while in the north local governments could not expand due to San Francisco Bay. Additionally, the city adopted a “pay-as-you-grow” system for financing new infrastructure. However, San Jose’s new policies did not stop or significantly restrict growth but instead directed it toward incorporated areas and mitigated its costs. The city’s housing stock and population steadily increased during subsequent decades.
Thomas Fallon, who raised the American flag over San Jose in July, 1846, built this home in 1859 at 175 West Saint John Street (formerly San Augustine Street). Fallon later served as mayor of San Jose. The builing, added to in later years, has been a restaurant well known to several generations of San Joseans.
Edwin Markham's Residence, 432 S. 8th Street This is the home of Edwin Markham, San Jose's resident poet from 1869 to 1889, and it is now a California State Historical Landmark. Located at 432 South 8th Street, it is owned by San Jose State University and at one time was used as an infirmary. Markham wrote his famed "Man with the Hoe" in the room the Edwin Markham Poetry Society now uses for annual meetings.
A bungalow style home built in the year of the earthquake (1906) is the residence at 136 South 13th Street, the home of Frazier O. Reed, grandson of James Frazier Reed, who was one of the leaders of the Reed-Donner party, and who later laid out the Reed Addition of downtown San jose.
Greatly altered from its original appearance is the old Charles Crothers home at 97 South 13th Street, built by the realtor in 1910 and now used as a board and care home. Charles Crothers was chairman of the building comittee when the old quad at San Jose State University was being built. His brother was executor of the estate of Comstock King, James G. Fair, and of the last will of Mrs. Leland Stanford. Crothers Road is named for the family.
The three-story I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) building on the southwest corner of Third and Santa Clara Streets is one of the best preseved of the brick blocks built prior to 1900. The structure was built in 1885 by the Odd Fellows Hall Association. The third floor was used as a residence for members.
The Montgomery Hotel which opened in July, 1911 is now a hotel for senior citizens. Four stories and a full basement, the building at 211 South First Street has shops on the ground floor and rooms above. The hotel takes its name from T. S. Montgomery, major developer of downtown San Jose three-quarters of a century ago.
Saint James Park or Square, as it was called when it was surveyed by Chester Lyman neatly two years before California became a State and San Jose a city, has been the locale for many historic events. At one time it was offered as the site for the stste capitol building. Print used in, and above description taken from the book "San Jose
Helen Guth Hall, one of three original buildings of the College of the Pacific when it was housed in San Jose, is this 1909 structure on Elm Street around the corner from Emory Street. It is now in use by Bellarmine College Preparatory as an office building. This hall was originally a women’s dormitory, and the other two buildings of old College of the Pacific are the gymnasium and the one-story dining hall (now a chapel for Bellarmine boys).
The present building replaced a wooden church which burned. Architect for Saint Joseph's was Brian J. Clinch, designer of more than 30 churches in California. Early pueblo residents, including Luis Maria Peralta, trudged through the mud of winter and the dust of summer, dodging squirrel holes in the plaza to attend mass on the site of the present impressive building.
This old residnce was built in 1889 by the Wehner family, German imigrants who bought the Evergreen district ranch from John McCarthy the previous year. Ernest Wehner planted a vineyard which was sold to R. Cribari & Sons Company in 1943. The house is now part of the Villages, an adult community off San Filipe Road.
This old mansion hidden in the trees at 755 Story Road was built in the 1870s by James Ashworth and was sold to the Remillard brick works family in 1891. It became the summer home of Countess Lillian Remillard Dandini, and was been sold along with accompanying acreage for an industrial park.
This multi-storied sand and gravel bunker at 790 Stockton Avenue is one of the few remaining and still in use. It was built of mammoth Douglas fir beams by the Central Supply Gravel Rock Company some 50 years or more ago and is architecturally and historically importantas an example of its type of structure.
The old Home Union building, more recently Garden City Hofbrau, has beeen standing on the corner of Market and Post Streets since 1873. The second story once housed a gymnasium while the ground floor was the Home Union grocery. The facade on the Market side of the building was destroyed in the 1906 earthquake and present plans call for the removal of the structure.
Layhodie, purchased in the 1880s by Stephen Poole Sanders, early-day photographer, is now the home of a greatnephew, Charles Pond. The Victorian mansion is located at 5051 Moorpark Avenue and contains hand-carved woodwork, Italian marble fireplace and original glass in the front door.
Fourth Ward School, 408 Almaden This is the old Fourth Ward School, later named the Lincoln School, built in 1874 at the cost of $17,000 and long condemned except for storage. The building, which came through the 1906 earthquake is at 406 Almaden Avenue and is an example of the Renaissance Revival style of architecture.
The Italianate mansion at 1615 Dry Creek Road is the house Theophilus Kirk built for his wife Lizzie in 1878, and is still owned by members of the family. Kirk and his brother Socrates built the Kirk Ditch Company, faint traces of which are still visible in the West Valley and which was an early irrigation experiment.
Four Square Gospel Church, 301 E. Santa Clara Street This familiar stucco building at 301 East Santa Clara Street, with its curved entrance and billboard perched on the roof, was remodeled as the Four-Square Gospel Church in 1943, and was dedicated by evangelist Aimee Semple McPerson. In recent years it has been used as a hall.
Hotel St. James, 241 North 1st Street The present Hotel St. James at 241 North 1st Street was originally named the Moir Building for the builder who constructed the three-story brick structure in the 1890s. It originally housed the Straford Hotel, but the name was changed when the original Hotel St. James was demolished in the 1930s. The Campen family has owned the building since 1927.
The old Fredericksburg Brewery has been a landmark on the Alameda for more than a century, and its buildings have been occupied by several different brewing companies over the years. Built in 1869, it was designed by Theodere Lenzen and has been remodeled over the years. The buildings were at the Alameda and Cinnabar Streets until they were demolished in the Winter of 1974.
United Artist Theatre, 263 South 1st. Street The United Artist Theatre was built in 1918 and opened as the Hippodrome, a vaudeville stronghold for several years until it became the motion picture theatre called the American. In 1938 the building was remodeled and renamed the State.
The County Courthouse at 191 North First Street, built in 1868, is one of the remaining architectural triumphs of Levi Goodrich, one of the city's pioneers. Sandstone for the building's construction came from Goodrich's quarry off the road to New Almaden. Originally three stories, earthquake and fire cut it down to two.
Built at Santa Clara and 1st Streets in 1927, during a skyscraper building boom, it's 13 plus stories still towers over more modern business buildings in the surrounding blocks. Until 1969 it was the headquarters for Bank of America in San Jose. A.P. Giannini, founder of the Bank of Italy, forerunner of the Bank of America, occupied the building at one time. There is still a branch of the bank in the building, plus offices.
The fabulous Hayes estate at 200 Edenvale Avenue, built early in this century by European craftsmen, is now in use as a rehabilitation center. The Hayes family included owners of the San Jose Mercury who were prominant in San Jose's political life. The house has marble fireplaces and walnut and mahogany paneling.