Burbank was initially part of Rancho San Rafael and La Providencia, which were land grants from the Spanish government. As a result of a military skirmish in this area, the Spanish Governor of California was unseated, and the Mexican leader Pio Pico was appointed. A Los Angeles dentist, David Burbank, established a sheep ranch there in 1867; he also sold a right-of-way to the Southern Pacific Railway, enabling the railroad to reach the area in 1874, following which the city began to grow. The Providencia Land, Water, and Development Company laid out Burbank in 1887.
When Burbank was settled, the streets were aligned along what is now Olive Avenue, a road that leads to downtown Los Angeles and the Cahuenga Pass. The Native Americans traveled along these roads, and the early settlers took their produce down to Los Angeles for sale and to buy supplies along these routes. During that time, stagecoach and train were the primary long-distance transportation methods available in the San Fernando Valley. The Valley became a stagecoach route between Los Angeles and San Francisco in 1858. The Southern Pacific Railroad reached the Valley in 1876, completing the route between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The Burbank Villa Hotel was built in 1887 by Dr. Burbank and his son-in-law John W. Griffin at a cost of $30,000.00. It was later renamed the Santa Rosa Hotel and remodeled into apartments. By the late-1920s, it had been torn down and replaced with the post office located at 135 E. Olive Avenue.
Group photo of several men sitting in front of the Burbank Block. The Burbank Block was the first brick building in town, located on San Fernando Road (now Golden Mall) and Olive Avenue in Burbank. The Brick Block was erected during 1887 by the Provedencia Land & Water Co. for the newly platted town of Burbank.
The Burbank Block Building, the first brick building in the area, shortly after its construction at Olive Avenue and San Fernando Boulevard, with people, horses, and carriages at left. In 1910 many of its decorative pediments were removed, and the cupola was removed following earthquake damage, possibly in 1933. The building has housed a post office, restaurants, and office space.
Street scene including the Burbank Villa Hotel, Burbank, Calif. The Burbank Villa Hotel (with turret, gables, and verandas with arches) was built by Dr. Burbank and his son-in-law John W. Griffin in 1887 at a cost of $30,000.00. Later the hotel was renamed the Santa Rosa Hotel and was a popular place for weddings and parties. During the 1920s the hotel was remodeled into apartments and by 1927 it had been torn down and replaced by the post office. Today, this post office is known as the Burbank Downtown Station and is located at 135 E.
An unpaved road fills most of the frame, showing a horse-drawn trolley-car track at its center that was discontinued after roughly one year. In the distance, a horse-drawn carriage navigates the road, flanked to either side by diffuse farm homesteads. A windmill tower and the spires of a church can be seen to the left of the street. Mountains are visible along the horizon.
Photograph of Broadway looking south from Second Street, Los Angeles, ca.1895-1905. Three- and four-story buildings line both sides of the road, which runs from the foreground to the background at center. City Hall is visible, as are horse-drawn carriages and numerous pedestrians on the sidewalk. Street car rails are in the middle of the road. Utility wires are visible overhead.
Photograph (streetscape, horizontal photography) of the Church of the Angels, 1100 North Avenue 64, Highland Park. The Victorian-style church is about four-stories tall. It features a clock tower, inclined roofs, and stone masonry walls. A built to surround the property also is made of stone masonry. Trees surround the property. Hills are visible in the background.