As an auxiliary of the American Anti-Slavery Society, the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society was founded in Boston in 1835. Its origins go back to the New England Anti-Slavery Society, founded by The Liberator editor William Lloyd Garrison in 1831 after the proposal for a college for blacks was defeated in New Haven.
The New England Society reorganized into the Massachusetts Anti-Slavery Society in 1838 after giving up regional jurisdiction. In particular, the society actively advocated legislation against new slave codes and laws and published treatises related to proposals to outlaw or penalize those involved in abolition and anti-slavery activities.
Boston’s annual meetings were held at Julien Hall, Melodeon, and Tremont Temple. Joel W. Lewis was the Chairman in 1840. Here are some historical anti-slavery broadsides of Massachusetts from the 19th Century.