Newcastle upon Tyne’s Grainger Market opened for business on 24 October 1835, replacing the markets on Grey Street as part of the city’s redevelopment in the early 19th century. John Dobson designed the Market and named it after Richard Grainger, who developed Newcastle’s center, known as Grainger Town.
There were two parts to the Market: the eastern meat market was laid out in aisles, and the western vegetable market was built in a large open-plan hall. Although there are still several butchers’ stalls there, the market has changed considerably. A market stall called Marks & Spencer’s Original Penny Bazaar is thought to be the smallest Marks & Spencer branch in the world.
Jimmy Forsyth and Robert Hope took these vintage photos of Grainger Market during the 1970s and 1980s.