World War II brought thousands of workers to Norfolk, where nearly 100 ships and landing craft were built. The population almost doubled between 1940 and 1944. Furniture manufacturing, fertilizer plants, and other industries also expanded during that time. Individual residences and apartment buildings rapidly developed during the war, and the city struggled to cope with overcrowding.
Norfolk began annexing neighboring counties after World War II. Public housing was constructed after the slums were cleared. The city also rebuilt hundreds of acres in the downtown. The SCOPE Convention and Cultural Center largely spurred this redevelopment. The Chrysler Museum and Chrysler Hall were named after automobile mogul Walter P. Chrysler, who donated his extensive art collection to the city.
This project to house married enlisted personnel of the Norfolk naval base has 500 units which include single-story detached dwellings, two family houses, two-story group houses and apartments. Built at a cost of $1,980,000 by the USHA (U.S. Housing Authority), the project was opened for occupancy on July 1, 1941. Rentals are divided into four groups which run from a low 13-15 dollars to a high of 30-33 dollars