Milwaukee’s first suburbs were incorporated in the late 19th century. The village of Bay View existed as an independent entity from 1879 to 1886. Whitefish Bay, South Milwaukee, and Wauwatosa were incorporated in 1892. Cudahy (1895), North Milwaukee (1897), and East Milwaukee (later known as Shorewood) followed.
Milwaukee City Hall was completed in 1895. When City Hall was completed, it was the tallest habitable building in the world, standing at 393 feet. The building was also one of the tallest structures in the world, behind non-habitable buildings such as the Eiffel Tower and the Washington Monument. When Philadelphia City Hall was completed in 1901, it became the tallest government building in the world.
The negative from which this slide was made was number 618 of the Louis M. Thiers collection of glass negatives from the Kenosha County Historical Society. The date is about 1890. The first building was the pastor's residence. The second was the home of the sisters and in the distance is seen a part of St. George's school hall. All were located on Milwaukee Street (Seventh Avenue) on the same block as St. George's Church.
This is a view of the fire that destroyed a large part of the plant of the Simmons Company, Kenosha Lumber Company, and considerable hardwood lumber of the Bain Wagon Company on April 19, 1892. This picture shows the steam fire engine from Milwaukee, Racine, and Waukegan at work pumping water from the harbor.
In 1893, the "Kate Howard" was owned and operated by Captain Harry Roffenor and hailed from Holland, Michigan. The "Kate Howard" visited the port of Kenosha for many years. She was a two-masted schooner with square rigged forward mast and standing jib on the rear mast. This schooner was lost between Milwaukee and Kenosha some time in the late 1890s.
A railroad runs along the side of the factory. Pleasant Street (possibly known as Dock Street at the time) runs along the right side, with a bridge over the Milwaukee River. Several ships are on the river. There are insets of the Bay View Tannery, the Sheep-Skin Tannery, the Canal Tannery, and the Pfister & Vogel store in Boston.
The Grand Avenue Bridge is on the left, which is decorated with bunting and banners, and is crowded with pedestrians. The roof of a streetcar can be seen above the heads of the pedestrians in the center of the bridge. Multi-story commercial buildings line the avenue on the opposite side of the river.