In 1925, St. Louis was a bustling and growing city with a strong economy and a diverse population. The city had a strong industrial base, with major brewing, meatpacking, and manufacturing companies. This made it a significant center for trade and commerce.
The city was also an important transportation hub, located at the Mississippi River intersection and several major rail lines. This facilitated the movement of goods and people, making it a major gateway to the west.
St. Louis had several universities and colleges, such as Washington University and Saint Louis University, as well as museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions. The city also had a vibrant music scene, with the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra being one of the best in the country.
St. Louis had a diverse population, a significant African American community, and a growing number of immigrants from Europe and Mexico. This added to the cultural richness of the city, with a variety of neighborhoods, languages, and customs.
However, like many American cities in the 1920s, St. Louis also had its share of problems. There were significant social and economic disparities among different groups, and the city faced challenges such as poverty, crime, and racial tensions. Additionally, the city was facing significant changes as a result of urbanization and industrialization, leading to the growth of slums, pollution, and other urban problems.
The rear of the Crunden Branch Library at the northeast corner of Cass Ave and 14th Street is visible in the right background. The building with the Hyde Park sign was at 1224 Cass Ave, the southeast corner of Cass Ave and 13th Street. The Cass Bank & Trust was later built on that site.
The building at immediate left is 2301 Morgan. Across the street at the northeast corner of Twenty-third & Morgan is the old Central M.E. Church (built 1869) and occupied by that congregation until 1885. The steeple was removed and the church was then used by the Central (Colored) Baptist Church until 1913. In 1933 the building was being used by the Church of God in Christ.
View of the southeast corner Market Street at the intersection with Grand Ave. The Grand Ave. bridge is off to the right. A woman stands near a fire hydrant. Numerous billboards are posted, including advertising for The Moler System of Colleges, The St. Louis Star newspaper, Chauncey P. Heath Real Estate and Murphy's luggage.
A second dentist sign is seen at 224 North 7th Street, which is the corner of North 7th Street & Olive Street). Burton Clothing Co. was at 720 Olive Street. The 12-story Arcade Building at the SW corner of Olive Street & North 8th Street is behind it. On the right, is the Railway Exchange Building at the NE corner of Olive Street & North 7th Street. Next is the Central National Bank Building (Union Trust Building) at the NW corner of Olive Street & North 7th Street; and then the Chemical Building (with the bay windows) at the NE corner of Olive Street & North 8th Street.
Looking north on Sarah Ave at Clayton Ave. The buildings at left center just past the railroad crossing were part of the Empire Brewing Co., and later used by U.S. Steel Supply Co. The brewery closed in 1918. On a brick wall in the foreground, several advertisements are visible, including one for the Mississippi Valley Trust Company. Remnants of earlier advertisements cover the wall. A telephone marker bearing the logo of Southwestern Bell protrudes from the wall near a doorway. Unintelligible writing on back of resource
View of the front yard at the Superintendent's residence of the St. Louis City Workhouse at the southeast corner of S. Broadway & Meramec Street. A woman sits with a small dog and a man stands near a double seated glider. Lemen0232, Lemen0233, Lemen0234 are related views. The residence at center background with tower is 2722-2724 Meramec Street.
View of the buildings that included 318, 320, 324 Jefferson and 2351, 2353, 2355, 2357, and 2361 Adams. At the time of the photograph, Drosky Brothers Grocery and Meat Market operated on the first floor of the corner building at 2361 Adams. This surrounding area is now part of I-64. From resource: North east corner of Jefferson and Adams.
Looking north down North 20th Street near East Gano Ave. in the College Hill neighborhood. The church at center is Our Lady of Perpetual Help at the northwest corner of East Linton Ave. & North 20th Street. The building at far left (behind the planter) is 4823 North 20th Street. The buildings at near far right (next to fence) is 4814 and 4816 North 20th Street (still standing).
The park is bounded by Louisiana on the west, S. Compton on the east, Potomac on the north and Miami on the south side. This photograph of the Gravois Park Pavilion appears on page 23 of the Annual Report of the Division of Parks and Recreation, Department of Public Welfare, City of St. Louis ending fiscal year April, 1925. City Ordinance 33140 authorized $8,500 of 1924 Bond Issue for construction. The pavilion includes a bandstand and lower level comfort station and was constructed by the Construction Division of the Division of Parks and Recreation. It was design by H. E. George, an architect for the City of St. Louis.
View of the buildings and businesses that once stood on the North side of the 1400 block of Chestnut which is now green space. Golden Ruling and Binding Company was at 1409, Capewell Horse and Nail Company at 1413, and Toman Auto Repair Company was at 1415 Chestnut at the time this photograph was taken.
The building at far left, with the arched windows, is the Allen Building, at the northwest corner of Broadway and Market Street. The building behind that, at left center, is the Old Courthouse. The building behind the Old Courthouse, at center, is the Merrell Drug Co. building at the northeast corner of Market and Fourth Street. In the left foreground a man is holding cable near an open manhole.
Directly in view is a large brick pile signaling a demolition. The photo was taken in front of approximately 511 Franklin Ave. The 3-story building at left center is at 600 Franklin Ave. Further up the block at left center, the building with the pointed roof is the Globe Store & Office Fixture Co. at 700 Franklin Ave
Looking southwest from the Superintendent’s residence of the St. Louis City Workhouse at the SE corner of South Broadway & Meramec Street. The view is southwest down South Broadway. The building with the pointed tower at center is the Home of the Friendless at the NW corner of South Broadway & Dakota Street (later the Charless Home – 4431 South Broadway). The tall building left of that is the Mt. Pleasant School at 4528 Nebraska Ave. Compare to photos
The Bush-Burns Realty Co. was located at 1105 Chestnut Street. A large sign in front of the building reads, "Berkley Acres, The Ideal Home Site". The Municipal Nurses Office, seen in right foreground, was part of the City Health & Police Dept. building, which was later replaced by the Civil Courts Building.