East Berlin served as the capital of the German Democratic Republic from 1949 to 1990. The Soviet sector of East Berlin was established in 1945. West Berlin consisted of the American, British, and French sectors.
East Berlin and West Berlin were separated by the Berlin Wall from 13 August 1961 until 9 November 1989. The Western Allies did not recognize East Berlin as the GDR’s capital, nor did they acknowledge the authority of the GDR to govern East Berlin.
During the reunification of Germany on 3 October 1990, East and West Berlin became one city.
This set of color photos shows street scenes in East Berlin from 1969.