Austin, Texas, was a bustling city in the 1960s. It was known for its vibrant music and arts scene and its growing technology industry. The University of Texas at Austin was a significant presence in the city and was home to many influential musicians, artists, and writers. Austin was also the site of several important political events during the 1960s, including creating the Texas Democratic Party’s “Texas Two Step” primary system and the passage of the city’s first land development code.
The civil rights movement was a social and political movement that sought to end discrimination and segregation against African Americans in the United States. The movement significantly impacted Austin and other cities across the country during the 1960s. In Austin, the movement was led by organizations such as the Austin chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Austin Youth Council. These organizations worked to end segregation in schools and public facilities and to ensure that African Americans had equal access to education, housing, and other opportunities. During the early 1960s, students protested segregated lunch counters, restaurants, and movie theaters. After the 1964 Civil Rights Act outlawed racial discrimination in public accommodations, the barriers gradually receded. However, discrimination persists in areas such as employment and housing. In 1968, African Americans won a school-board seat and, in 1971, a city-council seat in the town, regaining a foothold in the local political leadership.
Some stunning historical photos show Austin, Texas, in the 1960s.
The building has a dark downspout on this side of the building. The mansion was built by Abner Cook in 1855 and was continuously occupied since 1856. The occupant here in 1967 was Governor John Connally. The mansion was declared a Texas historical landmark in 1962 and a national historic landmark in 1970.
The overhead view shows male kitchen workers preparing burgers on the left, female workers bagging orders and cashiering in the center, and the customers ordering at the counter on the right. The back of a large menu hanging from the ceiling is visible on the right above the customers. Cars are visible in the parking lot, seen through the windows. The male employees wear white pants, white shirts, and white paper caps that say "2-J". The female workers wear white dresses with name badges.
A few boys have jerseys that say "Pan Am Aces" on the front; the rest play in plain clothes. A boy in the foreground raises a cup and looks at the camera. The boy next to him leans forward, ready to catch a pass thrown by a boy in sunglasses. Other children stand around casually. The game is not in full-play.
There is scaffolding around the concrete interior support structure, and board formwork is in place for pouring a flared level near the top of the tower. In front of the tower, the scalloped metal terminal roof is under construction, and there are several wooden construction shacks in foreground
A large square pillar stands prominently in the center of the room. Some cushioned chairs and a lamp sit in the right by a curtained window. Behind the pillar and in the left background are potted plants; in the left wall is a set of glass doors. More glass doors to the street are visible in the center background, through which a 1950s-era car is visible.
A sidewalk can be seen in the right foreground leading over to the steps in front of the building's glass entrance way. A low barrier wall can be seen to the left of the steps and sidewalk. A boxy roof awning can be seen hanging over the entrance way, and a tree can be seen in the upper left foreground.
The office is a stone building with windowed entrance way, where a zig-zag roof awning can be seen. A side walk leading from the parking lot can be seen in the right side foreground, along with a small, grassy lawn, palm trees, and large boulders. The company name can be seen both on the side of the building to the right of the entrance and on a tall sign that stands to the left.
The bleachers are full of women and children watching. The first organized recreation center in Austin was the privately owned Austin Athletic Club, built in 1923, by William T. Caswell. In 1931. Mr. Caswell sold the club to the City of Austin for "a small remuneration". The name of the center was officially changed to the Austin Recreation Center in 1970. After substantial damage, due to the Memorial Day flood of 1981 that center was closed after the existing center was built and opened in 1986.
The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.
The mariachi wear sombreros and patterned panchos. The two mariachi on the right and left play six-string guitars while the middle mariachi plays the Mexican vihuela. The mariachi mouths are open in mid-song. The Pan American Recreation Center was opened in June 1942 as the first Latin American Recreation Center in Austin and run under the auspices of the Federated Latin American Club and directed by the Austin Recreation Department. The name "Pan American Recreation Center" was chosen by the executive committee during a center naming contest. On September 7, 1956, a new Pan American Recreation Center was formally dedicated at 2100 East 3rd Street, just west of the old location and where it currently exists today. The building adjoins Zavala School and was built at a cost of $155,261. The Hillside Theater was later built and completed in June 1958.