When Hawaii became the 50th U.S. state in 1959, Honolulu entered a new era. Commercial air travel made the islands reachable in hours rather than days, and tourism quickly became the backbone of the city’s economy. Defense spending and agricultural exports added to the growth, but it was the steady flow of visitors that reshaped the city’s skyline, shoreline, and neighborhoods throughout the 1960s.
Most travelers arrived at Honolulu International Airport, which had been named after Commander John Rodgers in 1932. Rodgers made history in 1925 as the first person to fly from the mainland to Hawaii. Cruise ships still docked at the harbor, and inter-island travel ran on commercial airlines. The decade itself was shaped by volcanic eruptions, tsunamis, political change, and growing environmental awareness. These vintage photographs capture what Honolulu actually looked like during those years.

From the air, Honolulu’s layout in the early 1960s told the story of a city in transition. The smoke rising from the Hawaiian Electric power station near Honolulu Harbor marked the industrial edge of the city, while residential neighborhoods spread inland toward the mountains. The Ala Moana area sat between the working harbor and the leisure zones of Waikiki, and aerial views from this period show that contrast clearly.


Punchbowl Crater offered one of the best vantage points in the city. The extinct volcanic tuff cone sits about 500 feet above downtown, and from its rim you could see south to the harbor, east toward Diamond Head, and west out over the Ewa plain. Photos taken from this spot in 1961 show a city that was still relatively low-rise, with only a handful of tall buildings breaking the skyline.



By the mid-1960s, development had visibly accelerated. New buildings had filled in gaps along the waterfront and Kapiolani Boulevard. The Ala Moana neighborhood, in particular, grew fast. The 1959 Ala Moana Shopping Center anchored the area, and the 23-story Ala Moana Tower that opened in 1961 gave residents and visitors a new bird’s-eye view of the city from the LaRonde revolving restaurant at its top.




The Waialae Uplands — now known as Waialaie Nui Ridge — provided sweeping views toward both Diamond Head and Waikiki. Photos from Halekoa Drive in 1965 show a city that was spreading up into the hills. Neighborhoods that had been mostly undeveloped just a decade earlier were filling in with homes, and the roads connecting them to the flatlands below were still relatively quiet.




Wilhelmina Rise, the ridge road above Kaimuki, gave a clear line of sight down toward Waikiki and the Pacific. The Kaimuki district below was a working neighborhood of small businesses and residential streets. Looking makai — the Hawaiian direction meaning seaward — from this elevation shows how the city’s grid pushed right up to the ocean’s edge.



The Ala Wai Canal is a man-made waterway that separates Waikiki from the rest of Honolulu. Built in the 1920s to drain the wetlands that once occupied the Waikiki area, the canal became a defining boundary of the city. The McCully Street bridge crossing it was one of the main connectors between Waikiki and the Moiliili and Manoa neighborhoods to the north. University Avenue, just inland from the canal, was a busy commercial corridor by the late 1960s.

The University of Hawaii’s Manoa campus was a major presence in the city. Founded on its current site in the early 20th century, the campus expanded significantly in the postwar years. Hawaii Hall, built in 1912, remained the most recognizable structure on campus — a Colonial-style building fronted by the 1934 Varney Circle fountain. Photos from 1961 show it standing much as it does today.



New dormitories and academic buildings went up on the Manoa campus throughout the decade. Webster and Snyder Halls were completed in 1962, adding student housing on the mauka (inland) side of campus with views deep into Manoa Valley. Mary Dillingham Frear Hall, the oldest women’s dormitory on campus, was still standing and in use in 1961 when these photos were taken.





Upper Manoa Valley, just beyond the university, was a quiet residential area of tree-lined streets and modest homes. Pawaina Street and Oahu Avenue in 1968 show a neighborhood that had changed little since the postwar years — peaceful, green, and removed from the tourist energy of Waikiki just a few miles away.



The old Dillingham Estate on Diamond Head became La Pietra School for Girls in 1964. The school occupied a grand property overlooking the ocean, and by 1968 it was well established on its hilltop site. The Kapiolani Palms Apartments on Kapiolani Boulevard, built in 1960, represented the newer, more modern kind of residential development spreading across the city at the same time.


The Ala Wai Canal and its surrounding area were photographed extensively during this period. Looking along the canal from McCully Street in 1961, the water runs straight toward the harbor mouth, with low-rise apartments and palms lining both banks. By 1965, the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor at the canal’s western end had grown into a full marina with a clear view from the newly opened Ilikai Hotel.







Before the marina expansion and hotel towers, Ala Wai Harbor looked very different. A 1961 photo taken from an upper floor of the 1957 Ocean Tower at the Hawaiian Village Hotel shows the harbor with far fewer boats and a much more open waterfront. By the late 1960s, both the yacht club and the surrounding towers had transformed the area into the marina-front scene still recognizable today.


Kewalo Basin, just west of Ala Moana, was Honolulu’s working fishing harbor throughout the 1960s. Wooden sampan tuna boats — built in the Japanese fishing tradition and long used in Hawaii’s tuna industry — filled its docks. The boats went out for skipjack tuna, known locally as aku, and their daily routines gave the basin a steady rhythm of activity.



The old Fisherman’s Wharf restaurant overlooked the basin and was a fixture of the waterfront scene. Morning light on the calm water of Kewalo Basin made for a tranquil contrast to the busy commercial activity that would follow. The 1955-built manmade peninsula at the basin’s entrance, now Kewalo Basin Park, was already a feature of the harbor by this time.







One of the most eye-catching vessels at Kewalo Basin in the 1960s was the Ale Ale Kai V, a large pink catamaran owned by industrialist Henry J. Kaiser. Kaiser, who had helped finance the Hawaiian Village Hotel in Waikiki, built the catamaran in late 1957. It operated sightseeing and dinner cruises out to Waikiki and to Pearl Harbor throughout the 1960s. The boat ran until it was demolished in early 2018.











Commercial shipping at Honolulu Harbor told its own story of the city’s connections to the wider Pacific. Vessels from Japan, Argentina, and the U.S. mainland all docked here. The Barkentine California, a sailing ship that operated harbor and sightseeing cruises, was a familiar sight in 1960. The 10-story Aloha Tower, built in 1926, still dominated the harbor skyline and served as the main landmark for arriving ships.








Ala Moana Shopping Center opened in 1959 and became the retail center of the city almost immediately. Built as an open-air mall on reclaimed land along Ala Moana Boulevard, it was one of the largest shopping centers in the United States at the time. Early photos from 1960 show its wide corridors nearly empty — a stark contrast to the crowds it would draw within just a few years.







The LaRonde revolving restaurant on the 23rd floor of the Ala Moana Tower was one of the most popular dining spots in the city. Opened in 1961, it completed a full rotation every hour, giving diners views of Diamond Head, the Koolau Mountains, the harbor, and the open Pacific. Photos taken from its windows throughout the decade document Honolulu’s growth almost year by year.










On the ground level at Ala Moana, the shopping experience was distinctive for its open-air design. The upper mall level featured a central courtyard, ocean-facing storefronts, and a Sears anchor at the western (ewa) end. A standout feature was the “Fountain of the Gods,” sculpted in 1959 by noted Hawaii artist Bumpei Akaji (1921–2002). The fountain stood near the escalators on the mall level and was eventually demolished during the center’s third-level expansion in 1990.















The Honolulu International Center on Ward Avenue opened in 1964. Its striking saucer-shaped arena was one of the most architecturally distinctive buildings in the city. It was later renamed the Blaisdell Center in 1984 to honor Mayor Neal S. Blaisdell, who served the city from 1955 to 1969. A few blocks away, the new Hawaii State Capitol was under construction in 1966, visible from the Punchbowl overlook, its modernist circular design rising above the older buildings of downtown.


Downtown Honolulu’s harbor area anchored the commercial core of the city. The 10-story Aloha Tower, which opened in 1926, was the tallest structure in Hawaii for decades and served as a landmark for ships arriving at Pier 9. Looking inland from its observation deck in 1960, the grid of downtown streets spread toward the Ko’olau Mountains. By 1965, newer office buildings were beginning to challenge the tower’s prominence on the skyline.



Bishop Street was downtown Honolulu’s financial hub. The street ran from the harbor straight through the city’s most important bank buildings and offices. By 1966, the corner of Bishop and King Street still had the character of a mid-century business district — ground-floor retail, modest signage, and steady foot traffic. The old Alexander Young Hotel at Bishop and Hotel Streets housed the 1955 Hob Nob restaurant, a well-known downtown lunch spot.




Fort Street was one of downtown’s busiest pedestrian corridors. Photos from 1960 and 1961 show it full of shoppers and street activity, with cars and buses sharing the road. That would change: Fort Street became a pedestrian mall in 1968, one of the earliest such conversions of a major downtown street in the United States. The 1922 Princess Theater, visible along Fort Street, was still drawing audiences in the early 1960s.






Hotel Street and its surrounding blocks formed a dense commercial neighborhood. The Kress store on Union Street, with its red awning, was a fixture of the area. The 1893 Masonic Temple on Alakea Street was already facing demolition by 1966 — a sign going up on the building reads “Ken Brady Demolition Specialist.” Chinatown, just a few blocks away, retained its pre-war character well into the decade, with its Chinese-character storefronts and the street activity visible at the Maunakea and North Beretania intersection.






The King Kamehameha Statue in front of the 1874 Hawaii Judiciary Building was one of downtown’s most iconic landmarks. The statue stands across South King Street from Iolani Palace, and the surrounding blocks of Merchant and Richards Streets showed the city’s older civic architecture still intact in the late 1960s. The imposing HECO (Hawaiian Electric Company) Building stood at the corner of King and Richards.




East Honolulu — the neighborhoods of Kahala, Waialae, Kaimuki, and Portlock — ranged from wealthy beachfront enclaves to inland working-class suburbs. The Kahala Hilton opened in 1964 on what had been the Waialae Golf Course site, bringing luxury tourism to the quieter east shore. Black Point’s Paterson Cottages and the residential streets of Portlock reflected a different pace entirely, with Koko Crater’s 1,200-foot profile dominating the view from the Maunalua Bay side of Koko Head.

















Thank you! Great photos I was there at Radford Hi Scool 1963-1965. Feel lucky!
Thank you for sharing your great photos of Honolulu, similar to my memory in the later 60s. Wow it was like just yesterday and now these photos bring back those memories so wonderfully. Much Aloha, from the Kakaako Kid.
It was cool to see the photos of what it looked like in the 60’s. Considering, I love looking at old photos of generations past.
Where’s Steve McGarret and the 5-O building where the others worked.
How can you forget that? Just joking.
Never been there but still interesting.
Boy there are so many photos.
Thanks for sharing! I showed my mom (born in the 50s) and she got all teary-eyed and nostalgic.
I lived there in the 60s … could smell that photo of cars parked at Ala Moana. Leaded gas fumes, the nut counter from Sears, hot dogs from Orange Julius, and sweat because none of those cars have AC.