Designed by Syd Mead, the Ford Gyron was a futuristic two-wheeled gyrocar first shown to the world at the Detroit Motor Show in 1961. Gyroscopes stabilized the car by placing one wheel at the front and the other at the back, like a motorcycle. Two small legs were visible from the sides of the vehicle when the occupants were seated side by side. The car was built for research and marketing purposes without going into production.
The gyroscopic systems were designed by Alex Tremulis and based on Louis Brennan’s theories. Ford Motor Company of Detroit credited Louis Brennan with designing the Gyron. Alex Tremulis began his career with the US Air Force and worked at the Wright-Patterson Air Force Base on the concept of military flying saucers in 1948. Before joining Ford, he was the chief designer for the ill-fated Tucker automobile. He was also involved with the Tuscan gyroscopic motorcycles and the Gyronaught XU1 gyroscopic car.
In the 1962 Ford Rotunda fire, the original fibreglass concept was destroyed. Today, only the studio model remains, sold at auction for $40,000 in December 2012.