in

What Columbus, Ohio looked like in the 1880s Through Stunning Historical Photos

The city of Columbus was laid out in 1812 and incorporated in 1816. Although Columbus was not the state’s original capital, the state legislature moved the state government after that short stay in Chillicothe and Zanesville. Due to its central location within the state and access to transportation routes (primarily rivers). The city was designed from the beginning as the state capital, preparing itself for its role in Ohio’s political, economic, and social life. Columbus grew significantly between 1816, when Columbus became the capital and the first groundbreaking. Several churches, schools, and newspapers were established by 1813, and a penitentiary was built by 1814. As well, the statehouse was constructed that year. By 1815, Columbus had a population of seven hundred people. In 1824, it became the county seat. Columbus officially became a city in 1834 when its population reached 4,000. John Brooks was elected its first mayor that year.

Despite suffering from the Panic of 1819, Columbus grew economically and population-wise in the following decades. Columbus’ growth can be attributed in large part to its proximity to major transportation routes. In September 1831, Columbus was connected to the Ohio and Erie Canal through an eleven-mile feeder canal. Within a few years, the National Road had stretched to Illinois from Cumberland, Maryland. Railroads and telegraph lines linked the capital to other parts of the state during the 1840s and 1850s.

Columbus became an important staging area during the American Civil War, and Camp Chase, one of the North’s most prominent prisoners of war camps, was built on the city’s west side. The local economy continued to grow after the war. It became one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of horse-drawn vehicles Although Columbus experienced industrial growth, it was not the state’s largest city. During the Civil War, the community’s population boomed. Columbus’ Camp Chase served as a training camp for Northern soldiers before they embarked for the South. A prison camp for captured Confederate soldiers was also located at Camp Chase. The population increase lasted only for the duration of the war. The city had a population of 51,647 in the 1880 census.

Below are some stunning historical photos that show what Columbus looked like in the 1880s.

#1 Columbus Edison Electric Light Company, 1888

Columbus Edison Electric Light Company, 1888

Columbus Edison Electric Light Company supplied Columbus' first electric lighting, February 9, 1883.

#2 Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth. Engraving, 1885

Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth. Engraving, 1885

View of the front façade of the Ohio Institution for Feeble Minded Youth as seen from across the front lawn. The Ohio Asylum for the Education of Imbecile Youth opened on August 3, 1857, at 727 East Main Street. It was the second institution of its kind in the United States. The Asylum was moved to 1601 West Broad Street in 1868. The new Ohio Asylum for the Education of Idiotic and Imbecile Youth was completed on July, 1868 but damaged by a large fire on November 18, 1881. The original structure was rebuilt and served until August 17, 1987 when it was demolished. The various names that the Institution has been known under are: the Ohio Asylum for the Education of Idiotic and Imbecile Youth, (1857-1878); the Ohio Institution for the Education of Idiotic and Imbecile Youth, (1878-1881); the Ohio Institution for Feeble-Minded Youth, (1881-1945); the Columbus State School, (1945-1970); the Columbus State Institute, (1970-circa 1980).

#3 Frank E Powell house, 1889

Frank E Powell house, 1889

Photograph of the home of lumber yard owner Frank E. Powell's on Broad Street, near Douglass. The building was demolished on December 17, 1965. His original home, 527 E Broad St., was where the first Boy Scout troop in Columbus was organized on September 23, 1910.

#4 St. Vincent’s Orphan Asylum, 1889

St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum, 1889

St. Vincent de Paul Orphan Asylum opened on February 2, 1875, with eight orphaned girls. It was run by the Franciscan Sisters of Penance and Christian Charity. The building was located on a seven-acre farm that Bishop Rosecrans purchased from Louis Zettler. Additions were constructed in 1878 and 1893. In 1973, it became St. Vincent Children’s Center. The original building was demolished May 15-16, 2007.

#5 Douglas Elementary School, photograph, 1889

Douglas Elementary School, photograph, 1889

Douglass Elementary School was originally constructed in 1875-6, and serviced the old Seventh Ward, known as the silk stocking ward, because many of Columbus’ prominent families lived in the vicinity. An east annex, designed by local architect David Riebel, opened in April of 1902. In 1952 both buildings were extensively remodeled and joined together. The top two floors of the older building were also removed. The school was demolished in 1976, and replaced with Douglass School 2, which closed in June of 2010.

#6 Hare Orphan’s Home

Hare Orphan's Home

Photograph of Hare Orphan's Home, founded in 1867 by a bequest from Jacob Hare and was originally known as the Home for the Friendless.

#7 Columbus Club photograph, 1889

Columbus Club photograph, 1889

The Columbus Club on East Broad Street.

#8 Francis C Sessions house, 1892

Francis C Sessions house, 1892

Photograph of the house of Francis C Sessions, which was built in 1840 and demolished ca 1928. He was a banker and dry goods executive from 1840-1892.

#9 Franklin County Courthouse demolition, 1884

Franklin County Courthouse demolition, 1884

This courthouse was built in 1840 on the southeast corner of Mound and High Streets. On March 30, 1879, a fire destroyed many public records in the building. The caption for this photograph reads, "Court House in Process of Being Torn Away"; additional information within the book reads, "The large picture depicts a scene on a September morning in 1884, showing the workmen in the act of tearing down the old court house."

#10 Pioneer Block building engraving, 1885

Pioneer Block building engraving, 1885

Illustration of the Pioneer Block included Andrew Dobbie Dry Goods, Kershaw & and Krauss Carpets and Curtains.

#11 King Building photograph, 1889

King Building photograph, 1889

A photograph of the King Building, corner of High and Spring Streets.

#12 St Francis Hospital, 1889

St Francis Hospital, 1889

Black and white photograph of Starling Medical College and St Francis Hospital. Starling Medical College was incorporated 1/28/1848.

#13 Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, 1889

Holy Family Roman Catholic Church, 1889

This is a black and white image of the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church. It was originally the United Brethren Church, and later became Memorial Baptist Church. Another site for the Holy Family Roman Catholic Church had a cornerstone laying on September 17, 1882, and its dedication on June 2, 1889

#14 Fifth Avenue Elementary School, 1882

Fifth Avenue Elementary School, 1882

Fifth Avenue Elementary School was constructed in 1886 and remodeled in 1954. The school closed in 1976 and has been demolished

#15 City Prison., 883

City Prison., 883

The Columbus City Prison opened December 29, 1879 and closed August 15, 1920.

#16 First Garfield Elementary School building, drawing, 1885

First Garfield Elementary School building, drawing, 1885

This picture is a drawing of the original Garfield Elementary School building. It was built in 1882 but would later be torn down and a new school building built in its place in 1953.

#17 Eli Tappan house, 1889

Eli Tappan house, 1889

Photograph of the home of Eli Tappan, president of Kenyon College, Ohio State School Commissioner, and attorney. The alternate address for this home was 461 16th Ave.

#18 U.S. Barracks Ordinance Building, 1885

U.S. Barracks Ordinance Building, 1885

A drawing of the U.S. Barracks Ordinance Building, also known as the Shot Tower. Used as the main storehouse building for military arms, it was never used to make shot.

#19 Central Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, 1889

Central Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, 1889

This is a black and white photograph featuring the exterior of the Central Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was dedicated July 26, 1885, and demolished January 14, 1936. This site later became home to the Borden Building.

#20 Looking east on East Broad Street from High Street, 1889

Looking east on East Broad Street from High Street, 1889

East Broad featuring from the left Edward G. Horn Liquors, 12 E. Broad; William Taylor Grocery, 14 E. Broad; the Hayden Clinton Bank, now the oldest building near Statehouse Square is at 20 E Broad; Board of Trade Building, 30 East Broad St. The tower in the distance is First Congregational Church. Board of Trade is now the site of the Rhodes State Office Tower.

#21 Monypeny Block building photograph, 1889

Monypeny Block building photograph, 1889

Monypeny Block was built in 1878 and demolished February of 1970. It had the first passenger elevator in Columbus. The Monypeny-Hammond Co. specialized in wholesale groceries.

#22 Merchants and Manufacturers National Bank photograph, 1896

Merchants and Manufacturers National Bank photograph, 1896

Photograph of the Merchants and Manufacturers National Bank, also known as Hanover Block and King Building. It was opened in 1886 and closed in 1945. Elah Terrell was the architect.

#23 Neil Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, 1915

Neil Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, 1915

Photographs of the Neil Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church, located on the northeast corner of Neil Avenue and Goodale Street. The original building was constructed in 1890 with an addition made in 1914.

#24 Franklin County Children’s Home illustration, 1885

Franklin County Children's Home illustration, 1885

Franklin County Children's Home opened March 1, 1880 and closed October 13, 1951. The building was demolished in May, 1955.

#25 Deaf and Dumb Asylum, 1889

Deaf and Dumb Asylum, 1889

Deaf and Dumb Asylum on East Town Street.

#26 St. Anthony’s Hospital, 1889

St. Anthony's Hospital, 1889

St Anthony's Hospital held its groundbreaking in June, 1889 and accepted their first patient on 12/7/1891. More recently, it has operated as the Park Medical Center and The Ohio State University Hospitals East.

#27 Charles E. Markeson house, 1889

Charles E. Markeson house, 1889

Photograph of real estate agent Charles E. Markeson's home, built near Alum Creek.

#28 Botanical Laboratory on the Ohio State University campus, 1889

Botanical Laboratory on the Ohio State University campus, 1889

Black and white photograph of the Botanical Laboratory, then located at 181 South Oval Drive on The Ohio State University campus. The building was designed by J.T. Harris and Company, and construction was completed in 1884. It was demolished in 1941. Its site is currently the yard north of the Faculty Club.

#29 Siebert Street Elementary, 1892

Siebert Street Elementary, 1892

Siebert Street Elementary School opened in 1888. The building no longer stands.

#30 Twenty Third Street Elementary, 1889

Twenty Third Street Elementary, 1889

Twenty Third Street Elementary was built in 1888 and was renamed Mt. Vernon Avenue Elementary circa 1912. Columbus State Community College now sits where the school once stood.

#31 Allen G Thurman house, 1889

Allen G Thurman house, 1889

The residence of Allen Granberry Thurman (November 13, 1813 – December 12, 1895), who was a Democratic Representative, Ohio Supreme Court justice, and Senator from Ohio, as well as the nominee of the Democratic Party for Vice President of the United States in 1888. The house was built around 1885 with Queen Anne Style elements. After Thurman's death, his son, Allen W. Thurman, an attorney, lived in the house.

#32 Emerson McMillin house, 1889

Emerson McMillin house, 1889

Photograph of the residence of Emerson McMillin, president of the Columbus Gas Light and Coke Company. The home, built in 1887, no longer stands.

#33 Oscar G. Peters house, 1889

Oscar G. Peters house, 1889

Photograph of the home of Oscar G. Peters, a co-owner of the Columbus Buggy Company. The company opened in 1875 and was soon the largest light weight buggy manufacturer in the world.

#34 Residence of W. H. Jones, 1889

Residence of W. H. Jones, 1889

W. H. Jones was the owner of the Jones Dry Goods Store. He built this home in 1889 and lived there until 1923. The home still stands today and is currently home to Local Matters, a non-profit community organization. The home is also on the National Register of Historic Places.

#35 Church of the Good Shepherd building photograph, 1889

Church of the Good Shepherd building photograph, 1889

Photograph of the Church of the Good Shepherd. The church held its first services at this location on April 10, 1887.

#36 Post Office and Custom House, 1889

Post Office and Custom House, 1889

The U.S. Post Office and Custom House is a handsome building, which cost $300,000 to construct, and within it Columbus annually handles 70,000,000 pieces of mail for outside distribution and 40,000,000 for local delivery. Columbus was made a Port of Entry in 1889.

#37 William H Andrews House, 1889

William H Andrews House, 1889

William H. Andrews was co-owner of Dages, Andrews & Company manufacturers of boots and shoes.

#38 William Y Miles House, 1889

William Y Miles House, 1889

William Y. Miles, co-founder of Miles, Bancroft & Sheldon wholesale dry goods, resided in this Broad Street home.

#39 United States Post Office and Government Building, 1889

United States Post Office and Government Building, 1889

A view of the United State Post Office and Government Building that was constructed in 1884-1887. It was remodeled and enlarged to the south in 1907-1912. Alternate address for this building in later years was 100 South Third Street.

#40 Franklin County Courthouse, 1889

Franklin County Courthouse, 1889

Franklin County's fourth Courthouse was dedicated July 13, 1887 and demolished in October 1974.

#41 Mt. Vernon Avenue Elementary School, 1888

Mt. Vernon Avenue Elementary School, 1888

Photograph of Mt. Vernon Avenue Elementary, which opened in 1888 and was known as the Twenty-Third Street Elementary until 1911. The building no longer stands.

#42 Frank J Shedd house, 1889

Frank J Shedd house, 1889

Photograph of the Frank J Shedd house. He was a partner in E E Shedd Grocers.

#43 Lehmann Hall, Capital University, 1889

Lehmann Hall, Capital University, 1889

Photograph of Lehmann Hall on the Capital University campus. The building opened on May 3, 1876. Demolition began on November 7, 1988.

#44 Hawkes Hospital (now Mount Carmel Hospital), 1889

Hawkes Hospital (now Mount Carmel Hospital), 1889

Dr. W. B. Hawkes donated the initial funds to build a hospital in Franklinton in 1885. He died soon after and Dr. John Hamilton continued the project, seeing to completion the four-story brick building which was dedicated on July 16, 1886 as Mount Carmel Hospital. Dr. Hamilton was instrumental in bringing the sisters of the Holy Cross to staff the new hospital. This original building was commonly known as Hawkes Hospital.

#45 Governors’ Mansion, 1890

Governors' Mansion, 1890

Originally Alfred Kelley's home, Governor James E. Campbell lived here during his term of 1890-1892.

#46 Engine House, 1886

Engine House, 1886

Construction began in 1896 and was completed in 1897. The building was converted to motorized vehicles in 1913.

#47 John Joyce House, 1889

John Joyce House, 1889

John Joyce, founder of the Green Joyce Co., built these 21 rooms, 10,000 sq ft house for $90,000. The house was built in 1880.

#48 Union Station No. 2, 1883

Union Station No. 2, 1883

Columbus's second Union Station accommodated seven sets of tracks and operated from 1875 to 1896. It was 292 feet wide, 600 feet long.

#49 Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church, 1889

Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church, 1889

Black and white photograph of the Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church. The Broad Street Methodist Episcopal Church building began construction in April 1884. It was dedicated on July 5, 1885.

#50 George M Peters House, 1889

George M Peters House, 1889

Built in 1873 by William A. Neil. Later occupied by William Dennison. Later home of George Merion Peters who was affiliated with the Columbus Buggy Co. and Peters Dash Company. Demolished in 1924 to make room for the United Commercial Travelers new building.

#51 Edward Denmead house, 1885

Edward Denmead house, 1885

The home of Edward Denmead, 153 Woodland Avenue. He was a director for the Columbus Evening Post, Democratic, which began December 4, 1888. The house was demolished in 1970 to build a parking lot for the St. Philip Episcopal Church.

#52 Schiller Park Lake and fountain, photograph, 1889

Schiller Park Lake and fountain, photograph, 1889

This is a picture of the Schiller Park Lake and Fountain. Land in the German Village area owned by Francis Stewart in the 1830s and used for local celebrations became known as Stewarts’ Grove. It was the site for the Ohio State Fair in 1864 & 1865. The City of Columbus purchased 23 acres of Stewarts’ Grove in 1867 and re-named it City Park. Improvements were added including a lake with a fountain and foot bridge, an amphitheater and shelter house. The statue of the famous German poet, Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller was erected on July 4, 1891. On April 3, 1905 the Park was re-named Schiller Park. On May 27, 1918, during World War I, the Parks’ name was changed to Washington Park because of local anti-German sentiments. The previous name was reinstated on April 7, 1930 and remains Schiller Park to this day. The Park is the second oldest park in the City of Columbus.

#53 Bott Brothers Billiards entrance, 1880s

Bott Brothers Billiards entrance, 1880s

Black and white photograph of the entrance to Bott Brothers Billiards.Bott Brothers Billiards was a saloon and billiard parlor co-founded by brothers Joseph F. Bott and William Bott in 1890. Located in the present-day Larrimer Building at 161 North High Street, the business closed in 1919 and later became known as The Clock Restaurant, followed by The Elevator Brewery and Draught Haus.

#54 Main and Oak Street strike headquarters. June 7, 1890

Main and Oak Street strike headquarters. June 7, 1890

Streetcar strikers in front of their "Main and Oak Street" headquarters. The strike started on June 3, 1890 when workers organized a union to secure shorter hours and an increase in wages. By June 9 an agreement was reached for a reduction of their day’s work from sixteen to twelve hours. They also achieved an increase in their wages.

#55 Schiller Park lake and boathouse,1889

Schiller Park lake and boathouse,1889

A view of the lake and boathouse at Schiller Park. Land in the German Village area owned by Francis Stewart in the 1830s and used for local celebrations became known as Stewarts’ Grove. It was the site for the Ohio State Fair in 1864 & 1865. The City of Columbus purchased 23 acres of Stewarts’ Grove in 1867 and re-named it City Park. Improvements were added including a lake with a fountain and foot bridge, an amphitheater and shelter house. The statue of the famous German poet, Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller was erected on July 4, 1891. On April 3, 1905 the Park was re-named Schiller Park. On May 27, 1918, during World War I, the Parks’ name was changed to Washington Park because of local anti-German sentiments. The previous name was reinstated on April 7, 1930 and remains Schiller Park to this day. The Park is the second oldest park in the City of Columbus.

#56 Frederick W. Atcherson Co Livery images, 1885

Frederick W. Atcherson Co Livery images, 1885

The Frederick W. Atcherson Company was a livery, feed and sale stable located at 54 and 56 East Gay Street. The business operated from 1893-1916.

#57 Paul Mone Grocery photograph, 1881

Paul Mone Grocery photograph, 1881

According to city directories, the first listing for Paul Mone's store appears in 1884 and the last listing appears in 1889. The store was located at the corner of Long and North High Streets. Photograph was submitted by Mr. Paul Mone of 871 Seymour Avenue with the date of 1851.

#58 Saul and Eberly Grocery building illustration, 1888

Saul and Eberly Grocery building illustration, 1888

This is black and white drawing depicting the exterior of the Saul & Eberly Grocery Store.

#59 Columbus Electric Light and Power Company, 1889

Columbus Electric Light and Power Company, 1889

Columbus Electric Light and Power Company began supplying electricity to Columbus in 1887.

#60 Obed Taylor House, 1890

Obed Taylor House, 1890

Photograph of the Obed Taylor home on Woodland Avenue. The home no longer stands. The carriage house still stands and carries the address (193 Woodland).

#61 Columbus Cart Company, 1890

Columbus Cart Company, 1890

Columbus Cart Company, manufacturers of buggies, road wagons, carriages, and carts.

#62 Columbus Watch Company building, 1889

Columbus Watch Company building, 1889

This is a black and white photograph showing the Columbus Watch Company. The company produced watches in Columbus from 1883 until 1903.

#63 Grand Army of the Republic parade, 1888

Grand Army of the Republic parade, 1888

A parade by the Grand Army of the Republic at the opening of the Ohio Centennial Exposition in September 1888.

#64 Parade of Colored Knights Templars, 1888

Parade of Colored Knights Templars, 1888

This parade of the colored Knights Templars of Ohio was on the occasion of their ninth annual conclave in 1888. The view represents them escorting Grand Eminent Commander Alex Morris from his stopping place to the hall in which the sessions were held. The affair was a very important one in African American circles, and was largely attended, many handsomely uniformed and well drilled organizations being present.

#65 Henry M. Neil House, 1889

Henry M. Neil House, 1889

Henry M. Neil's house "Indianola" gave its name to an avenue and two schools.

#66 Franklinton Elementary School, photograph, 1889

Franklinton Elementary School, photograph, 1889

The cornerstone for the first Franklinton Elementary School was laid in August of 1877 on the site of the first Franklin County courthouse in Franklinton. The original cornerstone of the courthouse was found while preparing the site for the school foundations. The first building had four rooms and cost $10,500. A four-room addition was added in 1879 for $11,140. Another four-room addition was constructed before 1900. The school was demolished on March 13, 1956 to prepare for freeway construction.

#67 William Shepard House, 1889

William Shepard House, 1889

William Shepard House and Sanitarium opened 3/30/1855 and burned 10/7/1981 and was the namesake for the community of Shepard, Ohio. It served as Big Sisters Home 1919-1952 and Columbus Childrens Psychiatric Hospital 1953-1973. The Shepard Branch of the Columbus Metropolitan Library opened on this site 6/14/1985.

#68 The Parade Ground, United States Barracks, 1883

The Parade Ground, United States Barracks, 1883

A view of the parade ground at the United States Barracks (more commonly known as the Columbus Barracks).

#69 Philip H Bruck House, 1889

Philip H Bruck House, 1889

Residence of Columbus Mayor Philip H. Bruck

#70 Franklin County Courthouse and Annex postcard, 1884

Franklin County Courthouse and Annex postcard, 1884

Located at the southeast corner of High and Mound Streets, the courthouse is shown behind the trees on the left, with the annex shown on the right.

#71 Iron Buggy Company building, 1898

Iron Buggy Company building, 1898

Iron Buggy Company was the first name of the Columbus Buggy Company. Also showing the P. Knopf House & Sign Painting Company.

#72 Deshler Block building engraving, 1885

Deshler Block building engraving, 1885

Illustration of the Deshler Block, at the northwest corner of Broad and High Streets, included the Deshler Bank.

#73 Columbus Watch Company interior, 1890

Columbus Watch Company interior, 1890

This is a black and white photograph showing the Columbus Watch Company. The company produced watches in Columbus from 1883 until 1903. It relocated in 1903 to Indiana, where it became the South Bend Watch Company.

#74 Elah Terrell house, 1889

Elah Terrell house, 1889

Photograph of the home of Elah Terrell, popular Columbus architect. The home was completed on July 21, 1888, and demolished 1947.

#75 Ohio Centennial opening parade. September 4, 1888

Ohio Centennial opening parade. September 4, 1888

The caption reads, "Opening Parade Ohio Centennial. The text explains that "the opening exercises of the Centennial took place on September 4" and featured the participation of the entire state militia and a coach formerly owned by George Washington, which is seen here just as it is turning the corner of High and Broad Streets.

#76 Clinton Building, 1889

Clinton Building, 1889

The Clinton Building at the corner of Chestnut and High.

#77 St. Joseph’s Orphan’s Home, 1889

St. Joseph's Orphan's Home, 1889

Winter view of St. Joseph's Orphan's Home on Main Street in Old Towne East. Image shows a priest standing along the sidewalk out front of the orphanage. Children fill the courtyard between buildings. St. Joseph's was established by Father Joseph Jessing in 1877 and later moved north when it merged with Jessing's Pontifical College eleven miles north of Columbus in 1931.

#78 Union Station Tunnel and temporary wooden viaduct, 1888

Union Station Tunnel and temporary wooden viaduct, 1888

Union Station Tunnel and temporary wooden viaduct built for the GAR National Encampment in 1888. Large building on the left is the Exchange Hotel or Powell House, 365-373 North High Street. The Powell House closed in December 1893 to make room for the new High Street Viaduct.

#79 Greenlawn Cemetery photograph, 1889

Greenlawn Cemetery photograph, 1889

This is a black and white image of Greenlawn Cemetery. The obelisk of Peter Hayden, a wealthy industrialist, is in the foreground.

#80 Odd Fellows Temple photograph, 1890

Odd Fellows Temple photograph, 1890

Building designed by Frank Packard

#81 James H Anderson House, 1889

James H Anderson House, 1889

The home of James H. Anderson, who served as the United States Consul to Hamburg, Germany.

#82 Green Joyce Building, 1887

Green Joyce Building, 1887

Green Joyce Company, wholesale dry goods.

#83 Frech Brothers Saloon building, September, 1888

Frech Brothers Saloon building, September, 1888

A photograph of the exterior of the Frech Brothers Saloon building with the Grand Army of Republic Band during the National Encampment.

#84 George Bauer Bakery, 1882

George Bauer Bakery, 1882

George Bauer Bakery, manufacturers of Bauer's Family Zwiebach, located at 145 E. Rich St. The business operated from 1865 to 1937. A horse-drawn vehicle is seen to the right with the side of the vehicle displaying the bakery's name and address.

#85 Columbus Board of Trade building, 1889

Columbus Board of Trade building, 1889

Columbus Board of Trade. Photo by Baker at time of completion. Much of the prosperity of Columbus was due to its live Board of Trade, which embraced some eight hundred business men, representing every branch of the city's activity. A feature of its work had been the conducting of buyers' excursions, which had induced hundreds of merchants from near and distant points to come to Columbus to do their trading. The Board had a permanent fund for the entertainment of the numerous conventions which met here. The headquarters of the Board were located here, but the premises in the main served the purpose of an office building. The building also contained a fine auditorium. The building opened on July 23, 1889 and closed in August 1964. The building was demolished in 1969.

#86 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

The streets of Columbus were decorated for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#87 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

Crowds gather for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#88 GAR Encampment, 1888

GAR Encampment, 1888

Tents located in one of the three camps of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic held in Columbus September 10-14, 1888.

#89 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

Crowds gather for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#90 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

A Columbus building decorated for the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic, held in Columbus, September 10-14, 1888.

#91 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

A horse-drawn trolley travels down a Columbus Street decorated for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#92 GAR Encampment, 1888

GAR Encampment, 1888

Men, tents, and a cannon in one of the three camps of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic held in Columbus September 10-14, 1888.

#93 GAR Encampment, 1888

GAR Encampment, 1888

Tents located in one of the three camps of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic held in Columbus September 10-14, 1888.

#94 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

A view of a Columbus Street decorated for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#95 Hoffman Ave Residential District, 1889

Hoffman Ave Residential District, 1889

House on the right, 55 Hoffman Avenue, belonged to Dr. Wells Teachnor and his wife Janet Cleveland Teachnor, great niece of President Grover Cleveland.

#96 Columbus Buckeyes, 1890

Columbus Buckeyes, 1890

In 1884, the Columbus Buckeyes finished second in the American Association, 6.5 games behind the New York Mets

#97 Fourth Street Residential District photograph, 1889

Fourth Street Residential District photograph, 1889

4th Street's residential district in the late 1880's.

#98 Boaters on the lake at Lake Park, 1889

Boaters on the lake at Lake Park, 1889

Boaters on the lake at Lake Park. This picnic area was purchased by Jonathan Linton in 1873 from the ninety-acre Henderson Farm. It was located at the intersection of Haul Road and SR 104 (Frank-Refugee Expressway). It was most likely an old flooded quarry. Listed in the Columbus City Directory 1888-92. Caption reads: "Lake Park from the south."

#99 Grand Army of the Republic Parade, 1888

Grand Army of the Republic Parade, 1888

Mounted dignitaries lead the Grand Army of the Republic Parade. The GAR encampment was held September 10-14, 1888.

#100 Old Piatt Mill on the Olentangy River, 1890s

Old Piatt Mill on the Olentangy River, 1890s

The Piatt Mill stood on the banks of the Olentangy River in north Columbus for nearly a century. The original dam and mill were constructed by David Beers in 1810. The site of the mill is just north of the present day Dodridge Street bridge. Beers owned the land the mill was located on. Darius Wilcox built a sawmill adjacent to the flour mill. The mills later came to be owned by the John James Piatt family. The buildings burned down on June 13, 1902. The area just to the east and north is where Olentangy Amusement Park was located.

#101 N 3rd St at Lynn is at foreground center, 1881

N 3rd St at Lynn is at foreground center, 1881

North Third Street at Lynn, featuring in the front left the Central Christrian Church, opened 8/21/1881.

#102 South High Street looking north from Mound Street, 1889

South High Street looking north from Mound Street, 1889

Business concerns in the area included: Einchenlaub's Theater, #317-19; the Wirthwein Block, #335-39; and Frech Brothers Saloon, #350 S. High St.

#103 East Lake at Goodale Park, 1889

East Lake at Goodale Park, 1889

Lincoln Goodale presented land to the City of Columbus for a public park, by a deed dated, November 15, 1851. The East Lake at was added circa 1872-1875 near Park Street on the east side of the Park.

#104 North High Street looking north from Gay Street, 1889

North High Street looking north from Gay Street, 1889

Dentists, opticians, and physicians were located on N. High near Gay Street. Also here was People's Carpets and Furniture Store, 142 N. High Street. Warner & Gares Dentist office, 85 N. High. Harrison Cole Opticians, 82 N. High St.

#105 South High Street and East Main Streets ,1890

South High Street and East Main Streets ,1890

Before the Great Southern Hotel, High and Main Streets were home to: Frederick Wacker Dry Goods, #298; Great 5 and 10 Cent Store, #300-02; and Julian F. Dettmer Woolen Co., #304 S. High Street.

#106 Pride of Columbus horse-drawn fire wagon, 1888

Pride of Columbus horse-drawn fire wagon, 1888

The Pride of Columbus horse-drawn fire wagon of No. 2 Hose Company featuring Captain Al Nice.

#107 Old High Street Horsecar, 1888.

Old High Street Horsecar, 1888.

High Street horse-drawn trolley car #109 with crew. Submitted by Miss louise Cherry of 419 Luckhupt Avenue.

#108 The General Locomotive with survivors of Andrews Raid, 1888

The General Locomotive with survivors of Andrews Raid, 1888

The General locomotive of Andrews Raiders fame is shown here at the Grand Army of the Republic 22nd National Encampment, September 1888. Featured are the survivors of the raid including the first men to win the Congressional medal of honor, one being the very first, Jacob Parrott.

#109 East Broad Street Residential Scenel, 1889

East Broad Street Residential Scenel, 1889

East Broad Street residential scene.

#110 South High Street looking southwest from Broad Street, 1889

South High Street looking southwest from Broad Street, 1889

Businesses in this 1889 photo of High St. south of Broad are: the Huntington National Bank, Charles Krag Men's Clothes, Krauss-Dobie Carpet, and Charles Huston Cigars. Submitted by R. C. Thurber of 330 East Gay Street.

#111 Aerial view of downtown Columbus, 1881

Aerial view of downtown Columbus, 1881

Aerial view of downtown Columbus looking southwest across the Scioto River. The view is south of Broad Street. South Front Street is in the foreground. The State Street and Town Street bridges can be seen. Also in the photograph is the Rhoades Manufacturing Company, makers of boats and bicycles, at 33 South Scioto Street, and the City Prison at 150 South Scioto Street. This undated photo was probably taken in the late 1880s or early 1890s when the Rhoades Company was located on the southwest corner of Scioto and Capital Streets.

#112 Horse Trolley before the old car barn, 1890.

Horse Trolley before the old car barn, 1890.

Horsecar for the Court House, Long Street, and Franklin Park Line stops at the old car barn. Submitted by Miss Ethel Perry of 1448 Oak Street.

#113 Jefferson Ave Residential District looking northwest from E Broad St, 1889

Jefferson Ave Residential District looking northwest from E Broad St, 1889

The west side of Jefferson Avenue was home to: Rev. Hiram W. Kellogg, #39; Worthington E. Babcock, #43; John C. Whitridge, #51; Harry E. Stafford, #57; Fred A. Wheeler, #59; Fred Blankner, #67; and Columbus' own James Thurber #77 Jefferson Avenue.

#114 Lexington Avenue Residential District, 1889

Lexington Avenue Residential District, 1889

Houses on Lexington Avenue near E. Broad are: David C. Meehan's home, #29, and the Faxon F. D. Albery home, #37 Lexington Ave.

#115 Pride of Columbus fire wagon nicknamed “Gift”1888

Pride of Columbus fire wagon nicknamed "Gift"1888

Hook and Ladder Co 1, nicknamed "Gift", in front of the Engine House #3, located at S/W Third and Chapel Streets. This location was in use fron 1855 to 1962. It was remodeled in 1872, and again in 1894.

#116 Aerial view of West Broad Street at Front Street, 1890

Aerial view of West Broad Street at Front Street, 1890

Aerial view of West Broad Street at Front Street.

#117 Parade of Straw for G.A.R. camps traveling down High Street, September 6, 1888

Parade of Straw for G.A.R. camps traveling down High Street, September 6, 1888

Sixty loads of straw were donated by local farmers for the Grand Army of the Republic Encampment held September 6, 1888.

#118 GAR Parade, 1888

GAR Parade, 1888

The streets of Columbus were decorated for the Grand Parade, held Tuesday, September 11, 1888, as part of the 22nd National Encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.

#119 Dickinson Restaurant, 1888

Dickinson Restaurant, 1888

Dickinson Restaurant featuring ice cream and fresh oysters, with William H. Dickinson standing in the doorway. Buildings in this block were razed to make way for the 1895 Dispatch Building which subsequently burned in 1907.

-1 Points
Upvote Downvote
Avatar of Aung Budhh

Written by Aung Budhh

Husband + Father + librarian + Poet + Traveler + Proud Buddhist. I love you with the breath, the smiles and the tears of all my life.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

4 Comments